Super moist and deliciously spiced apple bread bars . Gluten free and vegan. Loaded with chunks of sweet apples and drizzled with the best maple glaze.
For Apple Topping
- 1/2 cup apples , peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
For Apple Cake Bars
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds (** see note)
- 5 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamon or allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup apples, peeled and chopped
For Maple Glaze
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- hot water
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- To make apple topping, combine 1/2 cup chopped apples with coconut sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- To make flax eggs, whisk together flax meal and warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes to gel.
- In a medium bowl, combine oat flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- In a large bowl. whisk together apple sauce, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk in flax eggs. Add dry mixture to wet and stir until well incorporated. Fold in 1 cup of chopped apples.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Spread apple topping over the top of mixture. Bake for 35-40 minutes until edges are golden and toothpick comes out clean in center.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan then then transfer to a wire wrack to cool completely before adding maple glaze.
- When apple bread bars are cool, prepare glaze by melting coconut butter and coconut oil in a small double boiler (I place a small glass bowl over a small pot). Whisk in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Taste and add more sweetener if necessary. Don’t worry if it gets clumpy. Remove from heat and whisk in hot water 1 teaspoon at a time until glaze is smooth and glossy. Keep whisking. It will get there.
- Once glaze is creamy, smooth, and thin enough to drip, drizzle or spoon over bars. Allow glaze to harden before cutting into 9 even-sized bars.
I grind my own flax seeds in a coffee grinder as flax meal can go rancid pretty quickly. You can also buy pre-ground flax meal like this.
I grind my own gluten free oats into a fine flour but you can also purchase it like this.