- 2 cups cooked pumpkin puree (freshly baked is best)
- 8 egg yolks (preferably pastured)
- 5 TBS RAW honey (like this)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder (I use this one)
- pinch of clove
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (like this)
- 2 pinches of celtic sea salt (I use this one)
- coconut whipped cream, whipped cream, or plain yogurt to serve on top
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Fill a large baking dish 1/3 with water and place into oven to warm up.
- Combine egg yolks, pumpkin puree, honey, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- In a sauce pan, gently heat coconut milk , all spices and sea salt until edges barely start to bubble. DO NOT BOIL.
- Slowly whisk HALF of coconut milk mixture into egg mixture (to prevent eggs from cooking)
- Return the mixture to saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon over LOW heat until thickens (about 5 minutes)
- Pour into baking dish (I use an 11 x 7 inch oval.)
- Place smaller baking dish into prepared larger baking dish in oven (to make a water bath for even cooking) and bake for 45-50 minutes, until set and toothpick comes out clean in center.
- Serve and enjoy this comforting dish family-style. Store leftovers in fridge (if there are any.)
I like to bake custards in a hot water bath for more even cooking. This step is not absolutely necessary but does make for a better end result. And if you don’t have all the spices listed above, a pumpkin spice will work just fine.