Super simple, one bowl gluten free and vegan peanut butter oat cookies. The perfect healthy treat or snack. Easily made with tahini, almond butter, or sunflower butter.
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds (flax meal) ** see note
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, almond butter, tahini, or sunflower butter
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup GF oats
- 1/4 cup GF oat flour (like this or grind your own)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- optional topping: coarse salt
- Make flax egg by whisking together 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds and 3 tbsp warm water. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to gel.
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flax egg, peanut butter, fat of choice, and vanilla until creamy smooth. Add rolled oats, oat flour, coconut sugar, and salt. Mix until well incorporated.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop small cookie balls onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten with fingers or fork to desired thickness. These cookies will not spread.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until firm and golden on the bottom. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking tray then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Top with a bit of optional coarse salt while cooling.
While you can purchase flax meal at most health food store or online, I prefer to grind my own. The delicate healthy fats in flax seeds can go rancid easily. I keep my flax seeds in the refrigerator and grind up a bit in my coffee grinder when I need some flax meal. Simply place whole flax seeds into coffee grinder and grind until fine. Store any unused flax meal in an air tight glass jar in the fridge.