- 1 quart organic, non-homogenized, whole milk
- 3–4 TBS leftover yogurt form your last batch OR good quality store-bought plain yogurt
- candy thermometer
- quart-sized glass jar with lid
- Carefully clean all equipment to be used. Pour boiling water into glass quart jar to be used for fermentation OR place in oven at 200’F for 15 minutes to kill any unwanted bacteria.
- Place thermometer, jar lid, and spoon for stirring into glass bowl and pour boiling water over. Let sit at least 5 minutes.
- Pour milk into medium pot and heat to just below a boil (around 170-180′ F). This will ensure that only your “good” bacteria will grow in your yogurt.
- Remove from heat and place in a cold water bath in the sink.
- Let cool until milk is at 110-115′ F, and then carefully stir in yogurt with clean spoon.
- Pour mixture into clean glass quart jar and cover with lid
- Ferment for 12-20 hours to produce a wonderfully creamy, probiotic-filled yogurt.
- Store in refrigerator.