- 4 large garnet or jewel sweet potatoes
- 1 TBS butter, ghee (like this), or coconut oil (I use this one)
- 1/4 onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 LB ground beef, bison, or turkey (preferably grass fed/pastured)
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt (I use this one)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder (like this)
- 2 TBS filtered water
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
FOR SPICY AVOCADO SAUCE:
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1 TBS olive oil
- juice from 1 lime or lemon
- a pinch of celtic sea salt (like this)
- a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce (my favorite)
- green onions
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Pierce each sweet potato several times with the tines of a fork. Place the sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until tender and completely soft, about 45-60 minutes.
- Prepare avocado sauce by combining all avocado sauce ingredients and mixing until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- About 30 minutes into baking sweet potatoes, melt fat of choice in skillet and saute onion for 7-9 minutes until beginning to brown. Add ground meat and continue to cook until meat is completely browned.
- Add salt, cumin, chili powder and water to skillet. Mix to combine and cook another 5 minutes on low-medium, until water is all cooked off, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped spinach and cook another couple of minutes until spinach is wilted. Cover and remove from heat.
- When sweet potatoes are done, make a slit in the top of each sweet potato and squeeze the ends to create a little well inside. . Gently loosen up some of the inside of each sweet potato with a fork. Then top with big mound of spiced ground meat. Drizzle with spicy avocado, and garnish with green onions, cilantro, and tomato.
- Serve with fresh green salad or steamed greens. Enjoy!