Did you know that about 80% of your immune system originates in the gut? So in order for us to be vital and healthy, we have to have a strong digestive system full of good bacteria. Want to know a cheap and easy way to improve your gut health? The gut is the principal area of your body where exchanges are made between you and the outside world and where nutrient uptake takes place. Since most diseases start in the gut, the quality of the flora that resides there is extremely important to overall health. Think about this: the human gastro-intestinal tract houses the bulk of the human immune system, about 80% of it.
Everything we eat and drink passes through the gut along the gastrointestinal tract. The tubelike GI tract is embedded with millions of bacteria that live, grow, and metabolize (digesting and absorbing) in what’s considered a complex ecosystem comprised of both beneficial and harmful bacteria. Imbalances within this ecosystem will impair the gut barrier and increase risk of developing disease.
With our stressful lifestyles, environmental toxins, and food lacking in real nutrition, our gut lining is unable to completely regenerate and heal itself as the old lining naturally sheds off. This leaves tiny gaps in the lining, allowing proteins and other “foreign” particles to seep into our bodies, creating a host of ailments and diseases, including :
Compromised immune system, food allergies/intolerances, gas/bloating, thyroid problems, diarrhea/constipation (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), migraines, weight gain/loss, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, auto-immune issues, depression, mood swings, anxiety, schizophrenia, autism, poor memory, difficulty concentrating….. the list is extensive.
So how do we keep out digestive system healthy?
Two words: FERMENTED FOODS
What we are talking about here are REAL fermented foods that are lacto-fermented, meaning that the starches and sugars in vegetables and fruits are converted into lactic acid by the many species of lactic-acid-producing bacteria present on the surface of all living things. Lactic acid is a natural preservative that inhibits putrefying bacteria. All you do is add SALT. Bacteria that could be harmful to us can’t tolerate much salt, but there are healthy bacteria that can. Lacto-fermentation wipes out the bad guys , then lets the good guys get to work . The product is a living food, full of enzymes and probiotics.
Giving your body a daily dose of fermented foods will introduce beneficial bacteria into your digestive system and help the balance of bacteria in your digestive system. Probiotics have also been shown to help slow or reverse some diseases, improve bowel health, aid digestion, and improve immunity!
Want to know how to get started with fermented foods?
Check out my post on 85 Ways to Eat More Fermented Foods. You will find countless recipes to get you started. You won’t believe how easy it is.
What about if I have to take antibiotics?
Taking antibiotics? It’s important to take the time to rebuild your gut flora after wiping out all of the good and bad bacteria. Antibiotics do not discriminate. Read my post on 6 Ways to Rebuild Gut Flora After Antibiotics.
Want to learn more about gut health?
You are in luck! There is a FREE online conference called the Digestive Sessions about to start later this week. It’s full of interviews with leading digestive health experts, cooking demos, and Be sure to save your seat.
The digestive Sessions runs from November 9th – 23rd. Just by signing up, you’ll get FREE 48-hour viewing access to each session. Yes, FREE!
- How a sluggish thyroid and low energy may be rooted in your gut.
- Probiotic supplements: Why one size does NOT fit all.
- A simple, inexpensive breath test that identifies the cause and treatment for abdominal bloating.
- Is gluten-free just a fad? What the science really says … and why THEY don’t want you to know about it.
- Must-know tips for managing Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis without steroidal drugs.
- The real cause of heartburn and acid reflux … and why your doctor never tests for it.
- The must-get tests for finding undiagnosed parasite infections. Plus, anti-parasitic herbs and foods you can buy at any health food store.
- Why “candida cleanses” seldom work long-term … and how to reduce your risk of GI cancer by 75%!
- Effective medication-free strategies for beating constipation and diarrhea.
- Is it all in your head? Why your brain may be the true cause of your digestive problems.
- How anxiety and depression may be rooted in your gut. No one talks about this.
- How to make simple, gut-healing meals in just minutes. Our real food chefs will show you how!
- And so much more!
Don’t have time to watch these sessions daily?
No worries! You can purchase the entire conference right now for a special pre-event price. Check out the Digestion Sessions Digital Access Pass HERE.
This pre-sale special ends Sunday November 9th!
With the Digital Access Pass, you get lifetime access to:
- 19 HD interviews with your digestion experts
- 19 mp3 audio files
- 6 HD video cooking classes
- The Digestion Sessions Cookbook
- 19 slideshow videos (yeah, we did both!)
- 19 downloadable slide sets (so you don’t have to take notes)
- Over 500 pages of transcripts
- A bunch of bonuses!
The limited time, pre-event price ends Sunday morning, when our big event kicks off.
Remember, you’ll get FREE 48-hour viewing access to each session starting this Sunday. The Digital Access Pass is for those who’d like to watch, read, or listen to the sessions on their own time and have this incredible resource at their fingertips whenever, wherever.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
photo credit: depositphotos @ Remains
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.