Creamy Butternut squash pasta is the ultimate gluten free comfort food.
Happy Fall! It’s officially comfort food season.
Kicking things off with this super creamy and super flavorful butternut squash recipe. It’s actually the first “real” pasta recipe I’ve posted here on the blog, as I usually use zoodles or other veggie noodles.
But after the year we’ve all had, we all deserve a cozy dinner that’s really easy to throw together.
I’m not gonna lie, there are days during 2020 when I feel like I’m eating my feelings. I’m not usually a stress-eater, but things have felt pretty heavy lately. And I find myself craving comfort food.
Here’s the deal with this week’s comfort food recipe: hearty butternut squash roasted with shallots, garlic, and fresh thyme and then pureed into the most lovely, velvety sauce. Pour it over your favorite gluten free pasta and you’re all set to go. Seriously so good.
How to make butternut squash pasta:
1. Peel and chop butternut squash. Add shallots, garlic, and fresh thyme.
2. Roast at 425’F until tender.
3. Add broth, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Puree until creamy smooth.
4. Cook pasta and pour sauce on top.
5. Toss to combine.
6. Garnish with roasted squash pieces and fresh herbs. Eat and enjoy!
This pasta dish is PERFECT when you’re craving a bit of warming comfort food. It’s simple enough to whip up any day of the week AND it’s fancy enough to serve on the weekend.
We eat it just as it is, but if you want to upgrade it a bit, feel free to add some crumbled bacon, sauteed kale or spinach, or even some grated parmesan.
Want more recipes?
DID YOU MAKE THIS AND LOVE IT? I WANT TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. SHARE THE LOVE ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @savorylotus AND USE THE HASHTAG #savorylotus FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED. FOLLOW SAVORY LOTUS ON PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK TO KEEP UP WITH LATEST CONTENT AND UPDATES.Print
The ultimate comfort food. Hearty butternut squash roasted with shallots, garlic, and fresh thyme and pureed into the most lovely, velvety sauce. Poured over your favorite gluten free pasta. Seriously so good.
- 5 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and unpeeled
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or melted ghee
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup broth, plus more for thinning (vegetable broth, homemade bone broth, or Kettle and Fire)
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (like this)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast , optional for “cheesy” flavor (I use THIS non-fortified brand)
- 12 ounces gluten free penne (I use THIS brand)
- fresh herbs for garnish (I used fresh thyme + chives)
- Preheat oven to 425’F.
- On a large baking sheet, add cubed squash, shallots, garlic, + fresh thyme. Drizzle with fat of choice and toss to coat. Roast for 30-35 minutes, until squash is tender and starting to caramelize a bit.
- When squash is almost done roasting, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta al dente then drain.
- Once squash is done, remove from oven and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove skins from roasted garlic. Reserve 1 cup of roasted squash pieces for later then transfer rest of squash, shallots, garlic, + herbs to a blender. Add broth and coconut milk. Puree until creamy smooth, adding extra broth to thin if necessary.
- Add pasta back into dry cooking pot, pour butternut squash sauce on top, tossing to combine.
- Divide pasta into individual bowls, garnish with the leftover roasted squash pieces and fresh herbs. Enjoy!
I usually buy a 3.5-4 pound butternut squash and get around 10 cups of cubed butternut squash. I use 5 cups for this recipe and use the rest for my Butternut Squash Lentil Soup.
Use avocado oil to roast veggies to keep completely dairy free.
CLICK HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.