Want to know how to get dinner on the table in 15 minutes? Try out this quick and Easy Taco Salad. It’s one of our summer time favorites when we don’t want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen.
Oh, summer, how I love you! I love your long sunny days. I love your late sunsets. Nothing is better than lazy days by the river. You make me happy. I wish you would last forever.
Anyone else get lazy in the kitchen in the summer? I know I do. I am all about keeping it simple so I can have more time to be outside doing all the fun summer things. Today I am stopping by to share one of my favorite quick and easy summer recipes: Taco Salad. It can be thrown together in just minutes and is loaded with healthy goodness.
One of the things that helps me get in and out of the kitchen quickly is to keep my fridge stocked with lots of fresh seasonal vegetables. I can whip up a salad in just minutes. Pre-washing your salad greens before you store them makes this process even faster. Basically for this taco salad, all you have to cook is the ground meat, which takes about 5 minutes. Chop some veggies and make your dressing and you are good to go. You can even prep the dressing ahead of time. (Oh, and BTW, this taco salad taste uh-may-zing with my dairy free ranch dressing as well.)
So I know that taco salad traditionally has corn tortillas, but in order to make this recipe a bit healthier, I like to use plantain chips instead. Plantain chips are made from banana’s slightly larger, starchier, less sweet cousin. They can be found in many grocery stores and online HERE. We use than often as little scoopers for various dips and spreads. You can even use them to make nachos.
The recipe below will make 2 very large taco salads for dinner OR 3-4 smaller taco salads for lighter meals or lunches. Hope you enjoy!
NOTE: This recipe used to be categorized as Whole30 compliant. As of March 2017, the Whole30 program has decided that the plan does not allow any store-bought chips of any origin (potato, tortilla, plantain, coconut, kale…)Print
CREAMY AVOCADO DRESSING
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/3 cup coconut cream (the thick stuff from the top of a full fat coconut milk can)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (I use THIS organic brand)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 packed cup fresh cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp unrefined salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- optional: 1/4 tsp chili powder
- extra water for thinning
- 2 tsp chili powder (like this)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (like this)
- 1/4 tsp paprika (like this)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (like this)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder (like this)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano (like this)
- 1/2 tsp unrefined salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee, butter, or coconut oil
- 1 pound ground meat (I use grass fed beef)
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 cup of plantain chips (like this)
- To make dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and process until creamy smooth. Adjust for salt and pepper. Thin with additional water to desired consistency.
- For taco meat: Combine spices and salt in a small bowl and set aside. Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of fat of choice and saute ground meat for 1 minute. Add spices and cook until meat is cooked through. Turn off heat.
- For salad: Combine salad ingredients in bowl. Add spiced ground meat and drizzle with creamy avocado dressing. Enjoy!
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.