A moist and delicious blueberry lemon cake loaded with juicy blueberries and bright lemon flavor. Just in time for Mother’s Day.
Apparently baking is my quarantine hobby of choice. If you follow me on INSTAGRAM, you already know that I’ve been diving into the world of gluten free sourdough bread. I’ve never baked bread before, but I’m loving baking bread for my family during this uncertain time. There’s something very grounding and self-sufficient about it.
But today is not about bread. It’s about cake. Blueberry lemon cake to be exact. ??
Here’s the recipe deets:
- butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- coconut sugar
- lemon juice + zest
- almond flour
- arrowroot powder
- baking powder
- fresh blueberries
- streusel topping with sliced almonds
What I love about this cake:
❤️ it’s a simple and humble “coffee cake” type of cake (my fav!)
❤️ it’s moist without being too heavy
❤️ it has just the right amount of lemon flavor and is bursting with blueberries
❤️ it’s gluten + grain free
❤️ the sweet and slightly crunchy streusel topping
❤️ this recipe has an almond flour base, and I haven’t tried it with any another flour. But if you don’t want to use arrowroot powder, you can just sub a 1/2 cup more of almond flour. The texture won’t be quite as light but will still be delish. You can also sub tapioca flour for the arrowroot.
❤️ fresh berries are best, but frozen will work as well. Don’t defrost them, just use straight out of freezer.
❤️ if you don’t have coconut sugar, any granulated sugar will work.
❤️ want to reduce the sugar? Reduce sugar in cake recipe to 1/2 cup and omit the streusel topping. This will make an excellent breakfast cake.
❤️ don’t have lemon? Orange zest and orange juice will work as well.
❤️ don’t have blueberries? Pretty much any fruit that you would normally bake with will work.
❤️ don’t have a springform pan? You can use a cast iron skillet or any similar sized cake pan.
And since Mother’s Day is just a few days away, oceans of gratitude to all the mothers in the world. Mothers hold the world together with their strength and love. They pour their own hearts into the children they raise, creating the next generation of human beings. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This cake is really good, I promise. ❤️ You won’t be sorry that you tried it
DID YOU MAKE THIS AND LOVE IT? I WANT TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. SHARE THE LOVE ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @savorylotus AND USE THE HASHTAG #savorylotus FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED. FOLLOW SAVORY LOTUS ON PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK TO KEEP UP WITH LATEST CONTENT AND UPDATES.Print
Blueberry Lemon Cake (gluten free + grain free)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: one 9 inch cake 1x
A moist and delicious blueberry lemon cake loaded with juicy blueberries and bright lemon flavor. Topped with a sweet and slightly crunchy streusel topping. Gluten free + grain free.
FOR THE STREUSEL
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil, cold
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almond
FOR BLUEBERRY LEMON CAKE
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar ( I use THIS brand)
- 1/2 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- 3 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups almond flour ( I use THIS fine, blanched brand)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (tossed in 1 tbsp of almond flour) + 1/3 cup more for top
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Grease a 9 inch spring form pan and line bottom with a circle of parchment paper.
- To make streusel topping, using a fork or your finger, blend almond flour, cold fat of choice, coconut sugar, and salt until a crumbly mixture forms. Fold in sliced almonds. Place into fridge until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer, cream together coconut sugar and fat of choice until fluffy- about 3-4 minutes. Mix in vanilla, lemon juice, and zest. Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each one.
- Sift in almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined. Fold in one cup of blueberries. Spoon mixture into prepared springform pan and smooth out the top. Scatter remaining 1/3 cup of blueberries on top and sprinkle on streusel mixture.
- Bake for 32-35 minutes, until golden and center springs back when touched. Allow to cool + run sharp knife around perimeter of cake before removing from pan.
- Top with extra fresh blueberries, lemon zest, and sliced almonds. Enjoy!
CLICK HERE to PIN THIS
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Any alterations for high altitude?
Katja Heino says
I’m sorry to say that I don’t have any experience baking in high altitudes. I have lived at sea level my whole life, always by the ocean. But I would love to learn if you have any tips.
How many eggs? (by scale) Any egg substitution?
Katja Heino says
The recipe calls for 3 eggs. I haven’t tried it with flax or chia eggs. Please let me know if you do. 🙂
Perfect timing as I have one lemon that needs to be used, and I always like trying a new recipe.
The recipe says to add eggs one at a time, but in the recipe list, eggs aren’t listed. Zoinks. 🙂
Katja Heino says
Gah! Obviously I’m distracted with my family being home while I try to work. Crazy times right now. I fixed it. 3 eggs. Enjoy! 🙂
Oh, my! I made this for Mother’s Day, and it was delicious. Thank you for such a simple recipe. I will definitely be making it again. Even my non-GF family members loved it.
This cake is so good. Thank you! I’m new to gluten free and have been missing baked goods. The cake was so moist. And the streusel topping was so yummy.