Welcome to another edition of REAL Food Books. This is my way of sharing what I am reading and learning about with you all. My nightstand (and kindle app) is stacked high with books for those times when I remove the cooking apron and settle in to relax and read. Today’s book is Nourished Metabolism by Elizabeth Walling.
Today I am sharing a very special book with you all. I believe that things come to you when you really need them, and this book came to me at a time when I really needed some help.
A while back after months of digestive issues and low energy, I finally discovered that I had parasites (Yuck, right?) I am an avid traveler and have been to many amazing places like India, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Mexico, and Costa Rica. It had not occurred to me that I might have a parasitic infection that was draining my energy and resources. After long and proper treatment for those little buggers, I was left stripped and drained. And my digestion was still a mess. That is when I found this amazing book called Nourished Metabolism by Elizabeth Walling from blog, The Nourished Life.
I have read a lot of books on health and wellness. And I can honestly say that this is hands down the most comprehensive and holistic book on nutrition and health that I have read. Elizabeth hits the nail right on the head when she says that , “Health starts with your metabolism.”
Now I am not just talking about metabolism in the sense of being fat or skinny. I am talking about how your body converts energy. How well your cells produce and use energy affects EVERY function in your body. This includes brain function, liver function, digestive function, thyroid function, kidney function, and reproductive function. Learning how to nourish and improve your metabolism will in turn nourish and improve EVERY function in your body.
What I love about this book is it’s simplicity. It is a completely balanced guide for learning and exploring about your own personal metabolism. The ideas are simple, yet powerful. Elizabeth gives practical changes that you can make in your diet and lifestyle to drastically improve your metabolism. There is no magic bullet here. There is no restrictive dieting. Just common sense information to help you to understand how your metabolism works and how it heals. Do any of you suffer from things like low energy, insomnia, poor digestion, low body temperature, dull skin, and mood swings? If so, this book is for you.
Quick quiz: Which side does your metabolism fall in?
What you will learn from this book:
- Seek out and destroy the hidden causes of stress in your life
- End digestive problems like bloating, constipation, and food intolerances
- Just say no to fad diets that don’t really work and seriously damage your health
- Stop restricting food groups and enjoy a variety of foods you love
- Learn how salt, sugar and water can be used to boost your metabolic health
- Stop wasting money on supplements by eating superfoods and supplementing wisely
- Learn the secrets to sleeping well, so you can wake up rested and refreshed
- How to get the most out of exercise without stressing your body (hint: more is not always better!)
- Find out how to listen to your body’s biofeedback so you know what works for you
- Manage your weight without sacrificing your metabolic health
- No gimmicks, just balance!
Did you know?
- A low-fat, low salt diet and rigorous exercise stresses your metabolism.
- Your body doesn’t distinguish between different kinds of stress. It responds to every stress in the same way.
- Lack of sufficient sleep is one of the major drains on metabolism.
- Skipping meals, dieting, or cutting out food groups can all be significant stressors.
- Being indoors and away from natural light is a stressor on the body.
After reading this book, I realized that I had to heal my body from the ground up, starting from my metabolism. If my foundation wasn’t healthy and strong, I didn’t have a place to grow and flourish from. I took several steps back on my journey to health and began deeply nourishing myself. I made sleep a priority. And I backed off on the exercising. Vital living is a journey, and I am still on the road. But after reading Elizabeth’s book, I feel like I have a clear direction. It’s not about restrictive diets. It’s not about a magic cure. It’s about deep nourishment on all levels.
For more information about Nourished Metabolism, click HERE now!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.