Moist + delicious chocolate chip pumpkin coffee cake loaded with nutty cinnamon streusel. A warm + cozy fall time treat made with healthy ingredients. Gluten + grain free.
I’m always sad to see summer go, but the smell of warm spices coming out of the oven does make me feel better. And what better way to celebrate fall than combining two of my favorites: coffee cake + pumpkin.
I’ve always LOVED the crunchy streusel topping on a good coffee cake. And the moist texture of pumpkin bread. Add some chocolate chips, and this is what we get:
What’s in chocolate chip pumpkin coffee cake:
As always, I try to keep the ingredient list short and basic.
- almond flour
- arrowroot powder (or tapioca flour)
- coconut sugar
- pumpkin spice
- baking soda
- pumpkin puree
- butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- chocolate chips (I use no sugar added chips)
- streusel topping … a combo of chopped nuts, almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter, ghee, or coconut oil
What kind of pan to use
I use a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Skillet baking is my favorite. The heat is distributed evenly, and I love the rustic look. You can also use a springform pan, a round cake pan, or an 8×8 baking pan.
The perfect fall recipe
This recipe is simple + effortless. I strive to create fail-proof recipes that anyone can make. It’s a basic cake batter plus a crunchy nutty streusel that gets layered in between.
What you end up with is a lightly-spiced decadent cake with layers of nutty buttery cinnamon flavor throughout. It’s so incredibly moist with a tender crumb. Can be served as a decadent breakfast or brunch or as a fun fall dessert.
And as always, no crappy ingredients. Gluten free + grain free with a dairy free option.
Happy fall, my sweet friends. ❤️
DID YOU MAKE THIS AND LOVE IT? I WANT TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. SHARE THE LOVE ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @savorylotus AND USE THE HASHTAG #savorylotus FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED. FOLLOW SAVORY LOTUS ON PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK TO KEEP UP WITH LATEST CONTENT AND UPDATES.Print
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- 3 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil – melted (like this OR like this)
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (like this)
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder (like this)
FOR PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE
- 2 cups almond flour (I use THIS super fine brand)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder or tapioca flour (like THIS or THIS )
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice (THIS is my fav brand)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (I use THIS BPA free brand)
- 1/4 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil – melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4– 1/3 cup chocolate chips + more for sprinkling (I use no sugar added chips)
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Liberally grease an 10 inch cast iron skillet and set aside.
- Combine streusel ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, arrowroot, coconut sugar, pumpkin spice, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin puree, melted fat of choice and vanilla. Pour wet into dry and mix until well incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour half of batter into greased skillet, spreading it to cover bottom. Layer half of streusel mixture on top. Spread on the rest of batter and then layer remaining streusel on top. Sprinkle with a few extra chocolate chips.
- Bake for 26-28 minutes, until golden and set in center. Enjoy!
I like Primal Palate Pumpkin Pie Spice or you can make your own: 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon all spice, and 1/8 teaspoon clove powder. Use 1 teaspoon of this mixture for this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.