Baked eggs nested in a bed of savory greens, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Mornings never tasted so good! And it’s super easy to make.
Eggs are my thing in the morning. I wake up hungry and like to start the day off right with a big protein-filled breaky. Sometimes it’s poached eggs. Sometimes it’s bacon and egg muffins that I make ahead of time. Lately my favorite breakfast has been baked eggs.
What I love about baked eggs is that it’s a one skillet kind of thing. I cook up some veggies, add my eggs, and bake to perfection. So easy!
Today’s version features my favorite: GREENS! I try to get in my greens every day. And with this delicious recipe, you can get even the pickiest eaters in your house to give them a try. The combination of earthy mushrooms and juicy tomatoes makes this a total winner. It serves 2 very hungry people or 4 if served with other things.
I know many of us are used to super carby and sugary things for breakfast. But I promise that you will feel much better if you start your day with veggie-loaded baked eggs instead. Feel free to substitute any of your favorite vegetables. Or add some cheese, if that’s your thing.
You can’t really go wrong with this super easy and super nutritious recipe. Gluten free. Grain free. Dairy free. Paleo. And Whole30 compliant. Enjoy!
Easy Baked Eggs
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced (I used shiitake mushrooms)
- 1 small bunch of chard, sliced into thin ribbons
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- fresh herbs for garnish (chives, basil, parsley, or dill)
- Preheat oven to 400’F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of fat of choice in a skillet (I used a 10in skillet) on medium heat. Add mushroom and a pinch of salt. Cook until mushroom begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chard ribbons and another pinch of salt and cook another 2-3 minutes, until greens are wilting and bright greens. Remove from heat and toss in tomato halves.
- Make 4 little nests in the cooked vegetables and crack an egg into each one. Place skillet into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Remove from oven, garnish with fresh herbs, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This looks so delicious with the eggs baked over the greens.
Easy Prep Ahead Meal Plans @ 20 Dishes says
Baked eggs…yum. I want to try this out!
Katja Heino says
It’s so easy and so yummy!