This gluten free + vegan blueberry crumble pie is the PERFECT summer dessert, with a seriously buttery crust, juicy blueberries, and an obscene amount of crumble topping.
OK… so this is technically may not be a pie. It’s sort of a hybrid between a crisp, a crumble, a pie, and a tart.
Being from Finland 🇫🇮, our version of pie is a bit different than the thick bottom and top crusted desserts you find in the United States. My most fond food memory from childhood is eating mustikkapiirakka (Finnish Blueberry Pie). It is made with a yeasted dough covered in sugar-sweetened blueberries. It seriously is heaven. I found a recipe in English HERE.
Today’s recipe is my ode to Finnish blueberry pie. It’s not made with a yeasted dough as I wanted to keep it gluten free, dairy free, and egg free. I’ve always loved fruit crisps and crumbles, so I’ve taken my Blueberry Crumble Bar recipe and tweaked it a bit to create a pie that features more of a crumble crust.
Hope you LOVE it as much as I do…..
Blueberry crumble pie recipe details
Y’all know I like to keep things super simple. This recipe consists of 2 parts: the crumble and the filling.
❤️ the crumble... is a mix of gluten free oats, almond flour, chopped nuts, maple syrup, coconut oil, baking powder, cardamom, + salt.
❤️ the filling… fresh juicy blueberries, maple syrup + a bit of arrowroot powder to thicken.
That’s it. Super easy to throw together.
It’s not the blueberry pie of my childhood, but the sweet, fresh blueberry filling does evoke the same feelings. And who doesn’t like a crispy crumble?
This uncomplicated pie can be made is a regular pie dish OR a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. I chose the latter as it creates a lovely presentation.
What you end up with is a fabulously crunchy and flavorful crust, a mouth-watering blueberry filling, and a crispy topping to finish it off. This really speaks to my Finnish soul. If blueberries are your jam, you are going to ADORE this recipe.
DID YOU MAKE THIS AND LOVE IT? I WANT TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. SHARE THE LOVE ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @savorylotus AND USE THE HASHTAG #savorylotus FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED. FOLLOW SAVORY LOTUS ON PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK TO KEEP UP WITH LATEST CONTENT AND UPDATES.Print
This gluten free + vegan blueberry crumble pie is the PERFECT summer dessert, with a fabulously crunchy and flavorful crust, a mouth-watering blueberry filling, and an obscene amount of crispy topping to finish it off.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 and 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup almond flour (I use THIS blanched brand)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (or cinnamon)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup solid coconut oil (not melted)
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Liberally grease a 9 inch tart pan OR pie dish.
- Toss blueberries in maple syrup and arrowroot powder until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, almond flour, chopped nuts, baking powder, salt, and cardamon. Add is maple syrup and solid coconut oil. Use your fingers to massage the mixture until you get a coarse crumble.
- Remove 3/4 cup of crumble to save for the topping. Press the remaining crumble firmly into prepared tart pan to make the crust. Spread blueberries evenly over crust and sprinkle on the reserved crumble topping.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Lay a piece of aluminum foil gently on top of pie for the last 15 minutes of baking to keep it from getting overly brown (almond flour likes to burn easily.)
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.